The timber ductwork around the sewage pipe in my bathroom is leaking. The sewer pipe comes from the unit above and my toilet connects into it. Do I have to repair the ducting and the pipe as it is within my unit?


Social Shares

Related Content

Strata Hub

The Owners Corporation is responsible for the repair as the ducting encloses structural cubic space. Structural cubic space is automatically common property even though it may exist within the cubic space of your lot, unless the strata plan specifically states otherwise.

Structural cubic space means

  • cubic space occupied by a vertical structural member, not being wall, of a building (e.g column, post, pole, etc);
  • any pipes, wires, cables or ducts that are not for the exclusive enjoyment of one lot; and
  • any cubic space enclosed by a structural enclosing any such pipes, wires, cables or ducts.

On this basis, the Owners Corporation is responsible for strata water leaks and the repair & maintenance of the timber ductwork and the sewer pipe.

Seamless Transition, Exceptional Service – Switch Your Strata Manager!

Request a Free Quote

Relevant Articles

An Overview of the Strata Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 On 10th October 2023, the Strata Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 was

Paul Culbi
Paul Culbi

Nov 15, 2023

Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. We’ve got over 29 million furry companions

Kinen Lau
Kinen Lau

Jun 03, 2022

“Strata Hub” is a NSW Government initiative created to increase transparency, provide better regulation, and improve engagement for all stakeholders

Philip Kooper
Philip Kooper

May 12, 2022

Industry response to article titled “Power Struggle: Doctor forced to sell electric car after his building removed the power point”

Philip Kooper
Philip Kooper

Apr 05, 2022

Talk to Jamesons about your needs today

Changing strata managers doesn’t have to be difficult. Get in touch with our team today and learn how our
strata management services could improve the value and enjoyment of your jointly-owned property.